I came across a challenge this week. Migrating Blob data from Oracle to SQL Server. I used MS Access for this since I could create an ODBC DSN to each and then have the best of ALL worlds. That is review the data, count the records and write very simple code. The link below is excellent and worked perfectly for what I needed for dealing with the Blobs.
How To Read and Write BLOBs Using GetChunk and AppendChunk: http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;194975
The process I used for the Blobs was this:
1. Copy the data from Oracle to SQL exluding the Blobs Column.
2. Export the Blobs to File using the ID field as a key like (ID) & FileName. FileName was a column in my Oracle table so that was nice and pretty well needed so you can Identift the MIME (file type like XLS, DOC, PDF).
3. Finally Update the SQL Server table using File to Blob.
I had some other "things" in the code to deal with missing files from the Blob column but that was simple.
I had an issue of Web Sites NOT rendering in IE9 for a site that I have running locally in IIS. I could, however, render the page in IE9 on another machine and it worked just fine. My issue was just locally and ONLY when I used the local machine name. i.e. http://localhost WORKED! But http://MachineName DID NOT work. So to fix my issue I just addedhttp://MachineName to the Local Intranet Site list in IE9.
Tools -> Internet Options -> Security -> Local Intranet -> Sites. Then Addhttp://MachineName to the list. Uncheck the https checkbox if just adding http.
Then it all started working locally. I'm not sure why this is as I have other servers that work just fine. I have never come across this issue until now. Good news is that it works now, but I would like someone to explain why I had to do that in the first place.
BTW, this was on a Windows 2008 R2 after installing SQL Server 2012 Reporting Services and SharePoint 2010 Enterprise.
Hope this helps someone!
I made up the word, Technophoric, because it sounded cool and I think anyone reading it will understand that its the opposite to Technophobia (someone who fears Technology).
This is my Second attempt at a Blog using BlogEngine! This time I'm hosting my own site (from the basement! erm home office!) using SQL Server 2008 for the datastore rather than XML files. I've come a long way in the last 12 months with regards to configuring my own data centre and Domain for my home office.
I hope to post some useful Comments on this blog over the course of it's life, which I hope is a long time. I will have some content starting this week sometime.